Sammie is available for school visits, conference presentations and speaking engagements. She has presented at local reading conferences, state reading conferences, and at International Reading Association Conferences.
Sammie Garnett and Author Visits are synonymous.
During her 32 years as an educator, she began Bay District Schools’ Author Visit Program in Panama City, FL, and served as its coordinator from 1994-2007. While serving as president of the Bay County Reading Association, she also assisted two neighboring school districts in setting up their Author Visit Programs.
Based on experiences, Sammie believes that Author Visits:
• Motivate students to read
• Inspire students to write
• Help students make a personal connection to an author and a book
• Strengthen reading / writing connections and skills for students
• De-mystify the writing process when students meet the author, hear the author’s story and observe
the process of going from an idea to a book.
The content of the U.S. Military Alphabet Series Sammie co-authored:
• Build’s student knowledge of our country’s peace keepers, the men and women who serve in the
U.S. Navy, Marines, Army, Coast Guard and Air Force
• Shows the variety of jobs in each branch of the service
• Shares history and traditions
• Introduces students to career choices
• Demonstrates the values of service men and women---honor, loyalty, devotion, courage, service,
respect, integrity, commitment, duty, and excellence